10 Smart Uses for Your Tax Refund

If you have a refund check coming your way, consider using it to bolster your personal balance sheet.  The average refund has been around $3,000 for the past two years (most people receive their refund within three weeks of filing their returns).  That’s a nice chunk of change.  Here are ten good things you could do with the money.

If your refund was substantial, consider giving yourself an immediate raise by adjusting your tax withholding to increase your take-home pay.

Pay Off Credit-Card Debt

Using your refund to pay off a balance with an 18% interest rate is like earning 18% on your investments — an incredibly valuable use of the money.  And if you pay off your balances, you can afford to close some cards that are now charging high fees.

Rebuild Your Emergency Fund

Many people had to raid their emergency fund over the past year and had little extra money to restore it.  You could use your refund to start rebuilding that fund, which can help you avoid landing in credit-card debt if you have an emergency.  Keep the money easily accessible in a money-market account or savings account that earns interest.

Boost Retirement Savings

You can contribute up to $5,000 to an IRA for 2012 (or $6,000 if age 50 or older).  If your modified adjusted gross income is $125,000 or less if you’re single, or $183,000 or less if you’re married filing jointly, then you can contribute to a Roth IRA, which lets you withdraw the money tax-free in retirement.  If you earn too much for a Roth, you can contribute to a nondeductible traditional IRA, then convert it to a Roth.

Fund a Taxable Account

Use the extra cash to buy shares in a mutual fund or stock you’ve been considering — but may feel is too risky for your IRA or not available in your 401(k) plan.

Fill Gaps in Your Insurance

For less than $1,000, you can get coverage for flooding and liability.

Flood Insurance Policy.  If you live in a low- to medium-risk area, it costs about $350 to $600 per year from the National Flood Insurance Program with the maximum $250,000 in dwelling coverage and $100,000 for possessions.  Get a price quote at www.floodsmart.gov.

Liability Insurance.  Cover your legal expenses if someone is hurt in your home or by your car.  It generally costs just $200 to $400 to buy a personal umbrella policy that provides $1 million in coverage over the limits of your auto- and homeowners-insurance policies.

Build Your College Savings

It’s always hard to juggle saving for college and retirement.  Here’s an opportunity to use your extra money to contribute to a 529 account.  You’ll be able to use the money tax-free for college bills, and you could get a state income-tax deduction for your contribution.

Help Your Kid Save

You can use the extra money to contribute to a Roth IRA for your child.  Your kid is eligible as long as he or she has earned income — from mowing yards or babysitting, for example.  Your child can contribute up to $5,000 or the amount of his or her earned income for the year, whichever is lower, and you can give him the cash to do it.

Prepay Your Vacation

Set aside some money for vacation rather than using your credit card and paying interest long after you have returned.  Stash your refund in a separate account, then add money automatically every week.  You could also set up the account for other expenses — such as a new car or holiday gifts.

Invest in Your Home

Your refund won’t be enough to redo your kitchen or bathroom, but it can pay for some smaller home improvements.  Use the extra cash to add a backsplash, paint a room or cabinets, replace your bathroom sink, swap out your faucets, organize a closet, install a programmable thermostat or spruce up your yard.

Give to Others

If you have your financial bases covered, consider using your refund to make a charitable contribution to help others in need.  You’ll feel good — and you’ll be rewarded for your good deed when you file your tax return in 2013 (charitable contributions are deductible if you itemize).


By: www.kiplinger.com

Tell us what you are looking for...